"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Book club "the marriage book"

Ok April I wanted to thank you for lending me your copy of the book for next months book club. I'm going to buy a copy as soon as I get out of the house. I've been sick today and stayed home from church to rest. I slept most of the day but picked up the book when I just wanted to sit and have something to occupy my brain. I love the book!!!

I don't know how many of you know, but I minored in child and family studies in college and I have taken a number of classes dissecting marriage and children. I respect research and think that opinions about what makes marriage work need to be backed by concrete examples and the best opinions are based off of numerous examples. This book is great. My husband and I have what I call a 'good marriage', now I know that term is relative and wouldn't be used for the same situation by different people.

We have been struggling for the past two weeks more than we normally do. I was baffled by it because we usually have such a strong marriage. After reading this book I realized due to our busy schedules and hectic lives our friendship was suffering. Everything that was happening negatively in our marriage was a symptom of that.

I won't go into detail, but I highly urge people to pick up this book. I am somewhat of a literary snob (blame it on my bachelors in English), but this book is worth the price of admission.

Again the book is by John Gottman and called "The seven principles for making marriage work". Also I wanted to see who might be interested in going to book club this next month and if there might be anyone who wouldn't mind hosting it? Comment and let me know.

7 comments:

April said...

So glad you love the book! It has definitely become one of my favorites and I just love being able to share it. I've never found another marriage book as helpful, at least for me...and my husband!

I'm definitely coming to book club next month! The hardest part really is getting out of the house!

I'd host but I don't have anywhere to send the family for a bit! Sorry!!

I hope you get feeling better soon!!

Stacy said...

I am going to try and make it.

jEsSiCa said...

Sounds like a great book. I'm excited to read it!
I wouldn't mind hosting - just depends on the day:) When are we planning on doing it?

Oh, and I'm so sorry you're sick! We missed ya:)

jEsSiCa said...

So I'm a dork! I just posted my comment and then looked off to the side and noticed the announcement of the day! lol:) Struggles!

That day works great for me. I'm thinking 7, 7:30, or 8:00 for times, so whoever picks just let me know:)

Tanada said...

Jessica that sounds great. Should we post a vote for the time? Thanks for offering to host.

jEsSiCa said...

No problem:) yeah, that would be good. I'll put it up! Thanks!

Melissa said...

I really want to come... just have to go get the book!